Rates and Forecasting Analyst
The Rates and Forecasting Analyst (RFA) works under general direction of the Manager of Finance & Rates. The RFA will support MBCP’s Finance team by building and maintaining financial modeling for forecasting MBCP’s revenue requirements and cost of service analysis (COSA) and developing and analyzing long-term retail load forecasts and reporting requirements.
We are seeking a candidate with solid electric rates and retail load forecasting experience to assist in the development and maintenance of COSA, revenue requirements, and long-term retail load forecasts models. The RFA performs a full range of rates and forecasting analyses under general supervision and minimal detailed guidance of the Manager of Finance & Rates. The RFA develops and maintains analyses on ratemaking and customer impact analysis for the IOU’s in MBCP’s service area, namely Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) and Southern California Edison (SCE). The RFA is responsible to maintain long-term retail load forecasting analyses and be fluent in mathematical reasonings about forecasting methodologies and its implications.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
Ideal candidate should possess energy data analyst experience, with the following responsibilities:
- Develop, modify and maintain financial models for forecasting revenue requirements and COSA. Prepare statistical, feasibility, and sensitivity analysis.
- Conduct monthly bill comparisons with PG&E and SCE to evaluate MBCP’s retail rate structures for competitiveness across all customer classes, including but not limited to, the residential, commercial, industrial, agricultural, standby, lighting, net energy metering (NEM), and electric vehicle (EV) classes. Prepare recommendation of necessary rate adjustments.
- Research legislation and regulatory changes that affect MBCP's rate design and implementation.
- Work on cross-functional teams to set and implement retail rates for periodic rate updates.
- Collaborate with third-party data management service provider to develop and maintain dataset to support long-term and ad-hoc retail load forecasting and reporting requirements. Identify trends in market forces that impact energy use or demand.
- Interactions with third-party data science consultants and internal data analytic team to develop the rate design and retail load forecast functions within the MBCP Data Analytic Platform.
- Assist in annual and mid-year budget and long-term financial proforma development and preparation.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
To view the full job description, information on benefits, salary and how to apply, click here
Rates and Forecasting Analyst
||Monterey Bay Community Power
||$124,000 (USD) Annually Commensurate with Experience
|Posting Start Date:
The successful candidate will bring a mix of data analytics acumen, the ability to work independently and collaboratively with MBCP staff, a passion for building solutions and streamlining processes, a commitment to data-driven decision- making, and a deep interest in MBCP’s mission. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
A combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed. Typically, equivalent to possess of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Math, Engineering, or other quantitative discipline and at least three years of experience in utility rate design or rate analysis within energy industry.
- Strong technical analytic skills:
- Expert proficiency in Excel modeling
- General understanding of basic data science methods & approaches
- Configure and maintain various database systems
- Ability to extract data, perform various analyses, and translate findings into meaningful business recommendations.
- Knowledge of policy development, load and demand forecasting, revenue requirements, rates or accounting, pricing, tariffs theory & practice, energy markets and customer data analysis.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Team player, ability to prioritize, be nimble, and self-directed in a highly fluid and rapidly changing environment.
- Knowledge of utility ratemaking design and/or energy program design.
- Knowledge of electric utility generation and retail business structures.
- Experience with utility load and financial forecasting methodologies.
- Experience with the development, maintenance of a self-service data analytics platform to disseminate data- driven insights into the organization.
- Knowledge of and experience with California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulations for electric utilities and knowledge of utility ratemaking, tariffs, and contracts.
- Passion for contributing to the success of community choice aggregation in California.
- Have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment.
- Work accurately and swiftly under pressure.
- Have high attention to detail with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrate integrity, patience, tact, and courtesy always.
- Employee may be required to work occasional evening hours
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for the position. Position requires sitting, walking, standing, bending, and twisting in the performance of daily activities. The position requires hand manipulation and repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The position requires near and far vision in reading reports and use of a computer. Acute hearing is required in supporting meetings and providing phone and in-person customer service. The position occasionally requires lifting and/or moving objects up to 40 pounds.
MBCP will make reasonable accommodation of the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability upon request.
Requirement: Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver’s license, automobile insurance, and a safe driving record. A DMV background check is required. A background check is required for finalist.
Location and Compensation
Job is located in Monterey, California. Compensation for this position is up to $124,000 yearly, commensurate with experience. A full benefits package is also offered as part of salaried employment.
To download and review the complete job description including information on how to apply, please click here.
||This listing expires on: 9/7/2020