A Metering Technician is a journey-level position working within the City's Electric Utility division as a part of a team of three that ensures the efficient operation of the City's electric meters for residents and commercial business.
Incumbents are responsible for performing shop and field calibrations of electric meters, installing current and voltage transformers with associated equipment and verifying the complete installation to assure accurate metering. The successful candidate will understand various electric meters, the operation and methods and equipment used in testing and repair of AC and DC circuits with particular reference to Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Law for single and polyphase circuits. Knowledge of applicable electrical codes and safety work practices is needed to take precautions when working around energized equipment.
||City of Palo Alto
||Palo Alto, CA
||$107,889.60 - $132,412.80
|Posting Start Date:
The ideal candidate possesses the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- 2+ years working for an electric utility
- Extensive electric metering experience
- Power Quality background
- Good computer skills
- Confident and competent working in the field
- Able to deal effectively and courteously with customers
- Able to learn new software programs
- Able to work well with others
- Journeyman electrician desirable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – essential and other important duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Install, inspect, test, and repair CT and PT circuits on low and high voltage switchgear.
- Assists engineering as required to determine type of meters and related material necessary to accurately record electrical energy consumption.
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, calibrate, upgrade, and test electromechanical and electronic meters.
- Wire transformer rated metering panels, pulse relays, and recorders.
- Troubleshoot complex metering schemes.
- Evaluate and document equipment testing performed.
- Configure various metering software packages and program electronic meters for rate and communication requirements.
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, test, and program telecommunications equipment associated with electric meters.
- Install and maintain various telecommunications equipment to provide data acquisition, i.e. ION meters and Meterlinks.
- Perform low and high voltage work on live circuits and related equipment.
- Install, test, and provide data interpretation for voltage and current recordings, power quality analyzers, and energy recording at customer and City owned sites.
- Inspect and approve substation, industrial and commercial, and residential service entrance equipment, i.e. switchgear and meter panels.
- Conducts the scheduled testing and circuit analysis of existing complex and standard revenue metering facilities for proper operation and accuracy.
- Troubleshoot radio and television interference complaints (RFI/TVI) and work with other crews to correct issues on the Utility side.
- Test, calibrate, and repair gas monitoring devices for use in confined spaces.
- Responds to vandalism and energy diversion cases and recommends appropriate actions to take.
||This listing expires on: 9/29/2020