Associate Engineer or Engineer (Environmental)
The City of Pasadena is seeking an Engineer with experience in environmental compliance, preferably thermal power plants and associated projects, at the Water and Power Department of the City of Pasadena.
Appointment will be made at the Associate Engineer or Engineer level depending on experience and qualifications.
Reporting to the Power Plant Manager, the ideal candidate is knowledgable and experiences with compliance requirements for local, state, and federal air quality, storm water, wastewater and solid waste regulations applicable to power plants and electric utilities; self-driven; analytical and tactful in dealing with regulatory agencies;
Associate Engineer performs journey-level work and is expected to conduct independents engineer studies, perform analyses and make recommendations, and develop plans and proposals for current and future regulatory compliance. This class requires an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate and a lesser degree of engineering experience.
Engineer independently performs complex and/or special engineering assignment, and provides project leadership. The Engineer class requires state registration as a Professional Engineer.
For a complete job description including more detail about the ideal candidate, information on benefits, and how to apply, click here
Associate Engineer or Engineer (Environmental)
||City of Pasadena/Pasadena Water and Power
||See job description for salary range
|Posting Start Date:
The major responsibilities of this positon are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the Associate Enginner and/or Engineer job descriptions.
Associate Engineer (Environmental)
- Conducts and monitors the review of departmental operations, documentation, training, and work products, ensuring compliance with applicable environmental policies and regulations.
- Develops formal environmental compliance plans in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and participates in developing the Department's environmental compliance program goals, objectives, policies, procedures, schedules and priorities.
- Maintains updated awareness of current developments and trends in the area of environmental protection and regulatory compliance and participates in workshops on rule development.
- Works with Department Managers and staff to obtain necessary environmental regulatory permits and project approvals.
- Performs internal audits for environmental compliance and recommends corrective actions; may contract with and monitor the performance of outside firms in performing these duties.
- Coordinates staff training in environmental compliance in accordance with Department policies and regulatory agency requirements.
In addition to the essential functions detailed for the Associate level Engineer level incumbent:
- Performs highly specialized design, research, or analysis on a project-by-project basis.
- Makes engineering analysis of designs and checks calculations; advises on code compliance; prepares and updates project schedules.
- Prepares status reports; prepares Engineering Job Orders and/or work orders; performs economic feasibility studies; prepares proposals for bid; evaluates bids.
- Confers with other professional and technical staff; prepares comprehensive reports; coordinates projects with other departments, outside agencies, contractors and consultants.
- Participates in the preparation of project budgets, estimating cash flow projections and providing cost justifications; monitors and ensures cost containment of projects within budget and section constraints.
- Prepares proposals, specifications and agenda reports to contract services or purchase equipment or consumables; maintains administrative and engineering records.
- Administers contracts; directs, prepares, reviews and approves contract documents and specifications, making modifications and recommending alternatives as needed; estimates construction costs and time requirements; negotiates contracts; prepares agenda reports for contract award; oversees contractors; coordinates work with others.
- Reviews and inspects work in progress to ensure compliance with standards and specifications; initiates and negotiates Change Order documents; exercises cost control and monitors schedules; performs and witnesses work performance tests and evaluates results; prepares and submits reports.
- Plans, organizes, supervises, reviews and evaluate the work of professional and para-professional personnel; prepares and/or directs the preparation of complex plans, specifications and legal contracts; performs difficult research; analyzes complex engineering problems; evaluates alternatives and recommends effective action.
- Uses computerized engineering applications.
- Selects, trains and motivate staff, and establishes and maintains effective relations with those in the course of work.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Prepares and presents technical reports and business correspondence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in environmental, civil, electrical, chemical or mechanical engineering or related engineering discipline with coursework in air quality, wastewater, storm water and hazardous materials/waste compliance. And at least two years of recent related engineering experience at the level of Assistant Engineer; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
An Engineer-in-Training certificate issued by the California State Licensing Board is required
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in environmental, civil, electrical, chemical or mechanical engineering or related engineering discipline with coursework in air quality, wastewater, storm water and hazardous materials/waste compliance. And at least four years of recent related engineering experience at the level of Associate Engineer; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
A certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer issued by the California State Licensing Board is required.
Experience with public utility operations and regulatory issues is highly desirable.
For the complete job description, information on benefits, and how to apply, click here.
||This listing expires on: 4/23/2021