Electric Division Manager (Settlement)
The City of Santa Clara's Silicon Valley Power is currently recruiting for a Division Manager with a strong background related to California Independent System Operator (ISO) markets, settlements, and resource modeling. The incumbent will work in a team-oriented environment alongside other energy professionals and subject matter experts in the Electric Resources Division.
This position reports to the Senior Electric Utility Division Manager overseeing resources and wholesale transactions. The incumbent will need to be a hands-on professional who is detail oriented and can see the big picture. The incumbent needs to be comfortable working with various software applications and be flexible in daily work tasks as events dictate. Strong analytical skills and excellent communication skills are required.
As a member of the City's Unclassified Service, this is an "at-will" position and the incumbent serves at the discretion of the City Manager. An incumbent in this classification: demonstrates strong ethical, professional, and service-oriented leadership and interpersonal skills; sets a good example; and correctly applies the tenets of the City's Code of Ethics and values.
Under general direction:
The view a more detailed job description, information on benefits, and instructions on how to apply, click here.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, perform, and direct the activities of an Settlements Division of the Electric Department
- Manage assigned personnel, provides technical instructions and assistance as necessary
- Lead and manage operating staff responsible for settlements and accounting for wholesale power and energy procurement agreements including management of market prices, schedules, CAISO statements and related calculations
- Review of all CAISO transaction billing and payments
- Oversee a monthly close process, including any drilldown to underlying transactions
- Manage utility audits and disputes; be the prime contact to the City’s outside auditor
- Reconciliation of control area charges and shadow settlements, including complex structured trades or options, and variable cost components
- Manage charge code equations and update ISO Wheeling and GMC rates.
- Translate evolving CAISO charges into settlement formulae
- Ensure accuracy of financial reporting related to settlement and trades, and power and sale agreements; ensure accurate historical records.
- Support disputes and litigation as necessary
- Review contracts and specialized confirms to ensure operational and financial readiness to support contract language
- Support software applications related to settlements and trading, and historic data retention
- Manage vendor contracts
- Develop processors for data warehouse
- Assure data integrity
- Interact with trade floor and risk control to resolve issues on outstanding positions and reporting.
- Develop and maintain internal control processes and procedures
- Oversee the dispute/resolution processes with counterparties and CAISO, as needed
- Assist in report development for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the other agencies
- Provide recommendations on a broad spectrum of division related issues
- Develop, performs and manages the implementation of utility plans based upon applicable State and Federal laws
- May be responsible for directing the activities of consultants and contractors
- May be required to represent the City to customers, other agencies, other utilities and members of the public
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Electric Division Manager (Settlement)
||City of Santa Clara/Silicon Valley Power
||Santa Clara, CA
||$186,684 - $241,608 (USD) Annually
|Posting Start Date:
||KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Principles of electrical utility planning and engineering involved in the development, construction, production, operational methods in interconnected utility area; power trading; risk management; transmission, distribution, utilization, and conservation of electricity; principles of program evaluation, forecasting and planning, probability and energy analysis and formulation; product development and marketing; customer service; telecommunications; information technology
- Principles of engineering economics; rate making and commodity market settlement concepts; laws applicable to rate-setting policy; and the principles of management and personnel administration
- Analyze complex data; resolve applicable problems; prepare technical reports
- Effectively negotiate contracts; manage long term supplier and customer business relations
- Manage contractor activities
- Manage project development and operations management
- Work successfully in a team environment
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Work effectively and harmoniously with others in a team environment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in engineering, business or closely related field; AND
- Four (4) years experience at a responsible level in engineering, administration, marketing, rate setting, resource planning, power contracts, power trading, risk management, communications, information technology, power operations, or maintenance in the electric utility industry or related field are required.
- Eight (8) years of applicable electric utility experience may be substituted for the education requirement.
- An advanced engineering or business degree may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the experience requirement.
Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license is required.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
- Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job assignment.
- Employees are required to pass initial and periodic comprehensive background checks, which may include fingerprinting, to meet Federal, State, and/or industry security requirements.
Incumbents in this position are required to file a Conflict of Interest statement upon assuming office, annually and upon leaving office, in accordance with City Manager Directive 100.
Please view the Benefits Summary for Unit 9, Miscellaneous Unclassified Management here.
To view the full job description and instructions on the application process, click here.
||This listing expires on: 5/21/2021
|| Send to Friend|
|| Return to Job Search|
|| Post a Position|
City of Santa Clara/Silicon Valley Power
1500 Warburton Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050