Senior Distribution Design Engineer
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we are proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they are "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best servesour customers.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures that electrical transmission and distribution facilities are adequately designed to meet SMUD customer requirements on a reliable basis; contributes to the development, maintenance, and reliability of SMUD power distribution and transmission facilities by managing and performing the design and construction of complex standard and non-standard projects that include the design and modification of transmission substations, the development of distribution line and substation construction and design standards, and the development of plans that define the scope, budget, schedule, and resources for assigned projects.
- Ensures the selection and performance of contractors in accordance with project needs, requirements, and contract agreements; prepares and/or includes bid proposals, specifications, and related contract documents; evaluates and participates in the selection of contractors; negotiates with selected contractors; manages contractors on assigned projects including to monitor and direct contractor activities in accordance with contract documents.
- Performs a variety of duties to maintain and improve the functioning of the distribution system; responds to equipment failures in the distribution system by evaluating failures, preparing reports, recommending courses of action, and, where complex repairs are required, directing and overseeing the repair and/or installation of equipment.
- Ensures that materials and equipment utilized in SMUD power distribution and transmission facilities meet established specification and quality requirements to facilitate proper functioning and achieve life cycle requirements; develops and maintains materials, equipment, and construction standards specifications and quality control by evaluating new materials, developing construction design standards, writing equipment specifications, coordinating trial equipment installations, evaluating technical bids of equipment for application on SMUD’s distribution system, conducting source inspections of manufacturing facilities for pre-qualification and during project production on SMUD orders, performing receiving inspection on critical items, and providing technical expertise and guidance to the test laboratory engaged in the examination and acceptance testing of received materials, the examination and failure analysis on failed materials, and instrument repair and calibration in support of other work groups.
- Maintains a current knowledge of industry practices, standards, and procedures of electrical power distribution design, construction, materials, and equipment through contact with industry peers, professional journals, membership in professional associations, contact with materials and equipment suppliers, and evaluation of new products.
- Informs SMUD executive management, Board of Directors, and Board committees of project status through informational presentations and periodic written and oral reports.
- Provides leadership and participates in assigned tasks of a work unit in order to meet defined unit goals and schedules and comply with SMUD schedule, quality, quantity, safety and performance standards; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, and guides work activities with work-unit employees to meet established task objectives and deadlines by following established policies and precedents; communicates with team members and incorporates their input to processes and techniques; provides staff training; promotes staff safety and a safe work environment; assists in selecting and orienting new personnel; assists in evaluating work performance results; participates as a team member in accomplishing objectives; refers problems to supervisory staff when solutions are not readily achievable.
- Assists in administering the department budget; participates in planning, monitoring, and revising schedules, work plans, expenditures, and assignments to support unit objectives in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Other related duties as required.
For the complete job description, information on company benefits, and how to apply, click here
Senior Distribution Design Engineer
||Salary $120,273 - $159,308 (USD) Annually
|Posting Start Date:
||Minimum Qualifications Education:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Electrical Engineering or a related field.
Five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant work in the planning, design, and operation of electric utility distribution systems.
Registration as a Professional Electrical Engineer (PE) with the State of California may be substituted for the degree requirement.
The health and wellbeing of our employees and our community is our top priority. SMUD follows CDC guidance and adheres to all local, county, and state orders. To this end, if you are scheduled to come on a SMUD campus, you will need to monitor your helath (ensuring your temperature is below 100.4 degrees and you are free of COVID-19 symptoms), wear a face covering, and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
For the complete job description, information on benefits, and how to apply for this position, click here.
||This listing expires on: 7/5/2021