Finance and Utility Billing Manager
Finance & Utility Billing Manager (4-day/36 hour work week)
$125,319 - $152,326 annually (FLSA exempt)
This is a full-time position with a 4-day/36-hour work week
, with an outstanding benefits
package including a pension plan
and a modern work-life balance
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a great team making a significant impact in the local community. Read on to learn more about AMP and this career opportunity.
About Alameda Municipal Power
AMP was founded in 1887 and is one of the oldest continuously operating electric utilities west of the Mississippi River. The utility has just over 35,000 customers comprising approximately 30,000 residential accounts and 5,000 commercial/government accounts. As a community-owned utility, AMP has much to offer its customers including the delivery of 100% clean energy (among the first in the nation to do so); rates that are 20% below the neighboring investor-owned PG&E; and a power reliability record that is among the top in western states.
We maintain local control so that we can re-invest in the island and provide value to enrich our lives, businesses, and the community. We've seen a lot of change in over 130 years, but through it all there's been one constant: We're as committed today to delivering safe and reliable electricity to the residents and businesses of Alameda as we were in 1887. We'll continue to invest in new and improved ways of doing business to manage costs, improve our service, and improve the environment.
About the Division/Position
The Administration division provides business management for the operating divisions including customer billing services, customer service, inventory management, financial management and cost accounting. The primary goal of the Administration division is to provide accurate and timely information for material support, record retention, customer bill issuance, financial performance reporting, and decision-making options for the operating divisions.
As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute a wide array of projects. We are looking for a colleague with exceptional interpersonal and excellent communication skills, data analysis skills, attention to detail, and an interest in learning new skills to meet the ongoing needs of the highly dynamic energy sector.
Examples of Duties:
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, policies, and priorities for accounting and utility billing groups.
- Manage and oversee staff engaged in professional accounting, utility billing, and meter reading activities.
- Manage and participate in all activities related to the accounting function for AMP, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, processing and issuance of checks, Automated Clearing House (ACH), wires, payroll processing, and working with complex financial software applications.
- Review, prepare, and approve detailed and complex financial and accounting entries and reports.
- Ensure that utility billings are processed timely and accurately; set up billing schedules and meter reading schedules; oversee billing rates and new billing modifications and programs; and make adjustments to customer bills and maintaining complex utility records.
- Evaluate and implement technological improvements to the utility billing process.
- Manage the timely and accurate preparation of the department budget; coordinate budget activities with other divisions within AMP; and work with the Assistant General Manager of Administration to finalize the budget.
- Prepare and analyze a variety of fiscal, administrative, and management reports, schedules and statements; prepare complex financial reports, including the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) for AMP.
- Coordinate activities with other departments and agencies; provide information and assistance regarding finance matters, policies, and procedures.
- Provide highly complex staff assistance to the Assistant General Manager-Administration.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Finance and Utility Billing Manager
||Alameda Municipal Power/City of Alameda
|Posting Start Date:
||The Ideal candidate
Qualifications to Apply
- A team player who has the strength of character and depth of knowledge to inspire and lead the Finance and Utility Billing section’s talented, dedicated staff.
- An experienced manager with the ability to ensure the continued success of the Finance and Utility Billing section.
- Technically strong to ensure AMP’s continued financial stability.
- A thoughtful communicator to tactfully and diplomatically address issues and challenges, leading the section by example in tackling difficult or controversial matters head-on and encouraging open discussion that is respectful of others’ roles, responsibilities, and points of view.
- Be a strong collaborative leader with exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to developing strong, positive working relationships not only with AMP staff but with the City staff.
The City of Alameda requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start of employment. Possession of the employment standards does not guarantee advancement to the examination or placement on the eligible list. Any combination equivalent to education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education and Experience:
The Finance & Utility Billing Manager requires a bachelor’s degree with major course work in accounting, finance, business, public administration or related field and four years of financial management experience with substantial work in budget preparation, accounting, administration, analysis, and organization-wide coordination, at least two years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity. Designation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is desirable. Municipal, government, or public utility experience, including utility billing, is also desirable.
We will also consider an equivalent combination of education and experience that meets the stated qualifications.
Possession of a valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record at the time of appointment is required as a condition of initial and continued employment only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than the employee’s ability to get to/from various work locations in a timely manner, is necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Please submit an online application detailing your work experience and attach a cover letter and resume.
The examination process may include an application and supplemental questionnaire evaluation, a written exam, a performance exam, and/or an oral interview. The examination process may test for, but is not limited to, the essential knowledge and abilities listed in the job specification and announcement and will be designed to provide a comprehensive review of each candidate's technical knowledge and overall suitability for the position.
Qualified applicants will be notified of the exact date, time, and location of examinations approximately two weeks in advance. If applicants have not received written notice at least one week prior to the tentative test date listed in the flyer, they should contact the City of Alameda Human Resources Department at (510) 747-4900.
Candidates passing all components of the examination process will be placed on an Eligible List. A list of names is certified to the department(s) having vacancies based on the type of examination conducted pursuant to the provision of the City's Civil Service Rules. Final selection will be made from the Eligible List by the Department Head subject to approval by the City Manager. The Department Head may utilize additional selection procedures to make a final hiring decision. Placement on an Eligible List does not guarantee employment. Prior to appointment, a thorough reference check will be conducted which may include a credit check and background. The selection process may be evaluated and revised based on the number of qualified applicants. Federal law requires that prior to employment, you must furnish proof of your identity and eligibility for employment in the United States, as required the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- 4-day work week/36 hours per week
- Employer-paid medical contribution covers premiums for you and your family.
- Employer-paid dental contribution covers premiums for you and your family.
- Generous pension program (CalPERS retirement)
- Learn more about our benefits here (Download PDF reader).
E-VERIFY: The City of Alameda utilizes the Federal government's E-Verify program and new employees must provide documentation to establish both identity and work authorization, which includes showing a valid United States Social Security card at the time of hire (photocopies not accepted).
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE CREDIT: A job applicant qualifies as a veteran if honorably discharged from active military, reservist, or National Guard duty of at least 18 consecutive months within the past five (5) years of the date of application. In case of discharge attributable to service-connected injuries or illnesses, the 18 months active duty requirement need not be fulfilled. An applicant claiming veteran's preference credit must attach to their application, a legible copy of their DD-214 verifying the type of discharge and date(s) of active service. NO OTHER DOCUMENTATION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations, the City of Alameda will employ and promote qualified individuals without regard to disability. The City is committed to making reasonable accommodations in the examination process and in the work environment. Individuals requesting reasonable accommodations in the examination process must do so no later than the final filing date for receipt of applications, otherwise it may not be possible to arrange accommodations for the selection process. Such requests should be addressed to the Human Resources Department | 1-510-747-4900 | email@example.com | 2263 Santa Clara Avenue, Rm. 290, Alameda, 94501. Requests can be made via email, phone, or in writing via U.S. mail.
The information contained herein is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
||This listing expires on: 10/9/2022