Assistant General Manager - Water Services
The City of Anaheim is accepting applications for an Assistant General Manager-Water Services for the Public Utilities Department. This position will direct, manage, coordinate, and oversee the activities and operations of Water Services Division.
Anaheim Public Utilities is the only municipal electric utility in the county. Our system delivers essential electricity to the 345,000 residents and 15,000+ businesses that call Anaheim home – including multi-million dollar tourism, sports, and manufacturing customers. Anaheim's electric system has grown to support a customer base that uses 2.6 billion kilowatt-hours a year, with more than 593,000 kW annual peak demand. In addition, the municipal water utility provides reliable, high quality water at competitive rates, while ensuring an adequate supply of water is always available to our customers.
To plan direct, manage, supervise, coordinate, and/or oversee the activities and operations of Water Services Division within the City's Public Utilities Department; to coordinate activities with other City departments and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Utilities General Manager.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
• Plan direct, manage, supervise, coordinate, and/or oversee the activities and operations of water resources and planning, water field operations, and water engineering and project management.
• Participate in negotiations with the City’s water wholesalers and groundwater producers on their rates, operations, and maintenance activities; represent Anaheim’s interests by influencing decisions that will benefit Public Utilities and its customers.
• Direct efforts to identify reasonable and cost-effective water supplies for Anaheim that will diversify the water supply portfolio and enhance supply reliability; work with other water agencies to identify and facilitate development of additional drought mitigation plans; identify and pursue grants and other outside funding to supplement the cost of diversification efforts.
• Oversee water quality compliance with applicable regulations, and manage testing and cross connection programs; establish internal policies and procedures that ensure that appropriate quality standards are maintained.
• Direct the management of water system design and construction activities; develop contracts to supplement internal staffing; monitor project schedules and budgets.
• Direct and oversee the development, implementation and administration of the Public Utilities Department operations, maintenance and emergency preparedness plans; evaluate engineering and field programs and activities; establish key performance metrics and ensure that appropriate industry standards are enforced.
• Provide high level support to Council-appointees on the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) and the Orange County Water District (OCWD) boards and related committees. Review agency agendas and provide context for issues that may impact Anaheim operations or finances.
• Eight years of increasingly responsible public utilities experience that includes water resources, water quality, water treatment, water engineering, and/or water field operations, including four years of administrative and supervisory responsibility, supplemented by a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering, or a related field.
• Operational, services, and activities of a public water utility; and practices of water resources quality engineering and field operations.
• Principles and practices of program development and administration; methods and techniques of water system maintenance, construction, and repair.
• Water engineering program development and administration; water resource issues and their impact on the City’s water supplies
• Municipal budget preparation and administration.
• Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation; pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations, including those related to environmental compliance.
• Oversee and participate in the management of a comprehensive public water utility oversee, direct, and coordinate the work of lower-level staff; select, supervise, train, and evaluate staff; effectively administer a variety of water engineering and water field operations planning, maintenance, and construction and repair activities.
• Respond to community and City Council issues, concerns and needs.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals; research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques.
• Interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
For more information about this exciting opportunity, please click on the link below to access the brochure: https://www.anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/View/47463/APU-AGM-Water-Services-Brochure
To Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/anaheim/jobs/3824890