Senior Project Manager
Department: Operations PMO
Sacramento, CA, US, 95817-1899
Minimum Pay Rate: $124,482.00
Maximum Pay Rate: $164,884.00
Apply by Date: 01/27/2023
Posting Type: Open
The Operations Project Management Office (Operations PMO) is an umbrella of various Project Portfolios spanning multiple functions within Energy Delivery and Operations (including Distribution Planning and Operations, Line Assets, Substation, Telecom and Metering, Environmental, Safety and Real Estate Services) as well as other Business Units. The Operations PMO’s responsibilities include Portfolio, Project, and Program Management, as well and Operations Support to help achieve SMUD’s 2030 Vision.
Each year Energy Delivery and Operations initiates and oversees several large-scale multi-million-dollar construction projects that span multiple business functions and project portfolios. The PMO is seeking qualified candidates for a Senior Project Manager Position which will provide expertise and leadership to help develop and operationalize processes to oversee these large-scale construction projects. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing multi-functional, enterprise-wide projects and mentoring their junior colleagues. The position will interface with multiple departments within SMUD, build partnerships, help drive decisions, facilitate collaboration, and provide the visibility and insights to improve project delivery.
Provides project management expertise and services in assigned area including to plan, organize, manage, coordinate, and execute activities and projects to ensure adequate, reliable, efficient, and cost effective systems and projects for SMUD.
Nature and Scope
Serves as a technical or functional expert or consultant providing expertise and/or direction in one or more areas of a professional discipline and assumes responsibility for resolving complex problems and overseeing complex projects. May also serve in a Lead role and assist in planning, coordinating, prioritizing, monitoring, and evaluating the work results in assigned area and in selecting, training, motivating, evaluating, and developing lower-level personnel.This role typically oversees or leads one or more large, complex projects. Or supervise PMs and a team supporting portfolios. Substations, Data Co-Lo, Large Overhauls Power Generations. Manages enterprise/OAT projects with budgets in excess of $10,000,000.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages activities and projects in assigned area; develops necessary project plans, cost estimates, project budgets, work breakdowns and schedules, and project summary descriptions and justifications for department, SMUD, and/or multi-utility or agency review.
- Ensures integrated planning and cooperation by internal/external partners or stakeholders to support successful completion of assigned projects; coordinates project planning with other departments and entities through meetings and shared written and oral reporting and communications; provides leadership and coordination with other utilities and agencies as required.
- Ensures the availability of timely and accurate project planning information on SMUD projects; collects, verifies, organizes, and maintains data; prepares and provides written summaries, reports, and recommendations for SMUD projects; responds verbally or in writing to routine and time-critical inquiries on projects from SMUD Board, regulatory bodies, other utilities, public agencies, and other SMUD departments.
- Ensures assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of department projects; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, guides, reviews, and conducts work activities associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plans.
- Ensures that project team members and contractors work methods, technical methodologies, and problem-solving methods meet SMUD policies and quality standards and contract terms; provides project guidance to project team members and contractors to develop unique solutions that address new or difficult problems on projects; directs preparation of verbal and written reports on technical problems.
- Represents SMUDs positions, priorities, and interests on multi-agency projects and to various industry, government, interest groups, and regulatory bodies.
- Provides leadership and direction for assigned tasks in order to meet defined unit goals and schedules and comply with SMUD schedule, quality, quantity, safety, and performance standards; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, and guides work activities of project team members to meet established task objectives and deadlines by following established policies and precedents; communicates with team members and incorporates their input to processes and techniques; promotes safety and a safe work environment; assists in evaluating work performance results; participates as a team member in accomplishing objectives; refers problems to supervisory staff when solutions are not readily achievable.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor Degree or Equivalent Relevant Experience
Required Experience Qualifications
Seven or more 7 plus years of progressively responsible relevant project management work experience in the power industry that includes significant experience in project leadership, management and outside agency interface or inter-utility project involvement.
Project management principles and practices; SMUD operations; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs, and other special agreements; federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertinent to area of assignment; strategic and business planning processes; cost control, scheduling, and budgeting principles and practices; reengineering principles; process improvement techniques; performance measurement techniques; proposal preparation techniques; contractual mechanisms and common terms and conditions; accounting fundamentals; management reporting; management control system fundamentals; total quality management philosophies, tools and techniques; methods and techniques for planning, organizing, and overseeing work activities; practices for delegating, assigning, and reviewing work assignments; safety policies, practices, and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Manage multiple projects including to plan, coordinate, and interpret diverse functions and activities within assigned projects; develop strategic, business, operational, and program plans; establish and maintain cooperation between work groups, contractors, and external agencies on the programs and within specific projects while working with a variety of staff and contractors to ensure that project goals and objectives will be met on schedule and within the approved budget; negotiate with internal and external representatives on behalf of SMUD; evaluate project progress and resolve complex technical issues; understand and resolve the technical, political, and corporate issues that are subject to change; interact with others to influence and motivate; compile and prepare technical, statistical, and analytical reports and presentations; develop and conduct oral presentations to internal/external audiences; work effectively with other utilities and outside agencies to manage joint projects; interpret, analyze, and apply pertinent policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements; identify significant organizational issues concerns and needs and develop strategies for rectifying them; accomplish tasks through teamwork; utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
• Extensive hands-on experience using formal Project Management Methodologies, Tools, and Processes to manage complex, enterprise-level projects
• Direct experience managing large electric utility projects with budgets ranging up to $50M
• Direct experience with Construction Management/ Construction-related projects
• Extensive experience with enterprise-level process re-engineering including process development, implementation, and operationalization
• Extensive Experience facilitating decision making at all organizational levels
• Hand-on Experience with Project Portfolio Management and Performance Reporting
• Hands-on experience supporting change management and operational readiness for enterprise-level initiatives
• Hands-on Experience with Lean / Six Sigma tools and methodologies
Project Management Institute PMP Certification
Acceptable alternative education or certification include:
- Project Management Institute - ACP Agile Certified Practitioner
- Engineering Degree, and requisite experience
- Construction Mgmt Degree, and requisite experience
- Professional Engineer Certification, and requisite experience
- Construction Mgmt Certification, and requisite experience
Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are a part of who we are and how we do things. Supporting efforts that promote pay equality is part of that. Salary placement for the selected candidate will be determined in alignment with the California Equal Pay Act or the applicable MOU. Determination for salary placement of internal candidates will be made without respect to current classification or compensation, and will be based upon the candidate's qualifications as compared to those performing substantially similar work. In the event there is a guaranteed pay progression outlined in an applicable MOU, the MOU takes precedence.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
Senior Project Manager
||Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
||$124,482 - $164,884
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 3/20/2023